All employers are required to have a written Safety Statement which must be brought to the attention of all employees. It is a further requirement to implement all health and safety measures identified in the Safety Statement. The Safety Statement will include a written Risk Assessment which will identify if there are substances in the workplace that may cause dermatitis. The Risk Assessment should be able to answer the following questions:
- Are you using one of the substances listed in Table 1?
- Does the package containing the substance have the symbol Xi?
- Does the safety data sheet have the safety or risk phrases S24, S37, R24, R27, R34, R35, R38 or R43?
- Who is likely to be exposed?
- To what amounts or concentrations?
- For how long?
- How often?
- Does the exposure exceed the daily occupational exposure level specified in the Chemical Agents Regulations?
- Has anybody in the workplace suffered skin problems in the past?