- Where PPE is provided employees must be informed of the risks against which they are being protected by the PPE.
- Employees must also be provided with suitable information, instruction and training (including training in the use, care or maintenance of PPE) to enable them to make proper and effective use of any PPE provided for their protection.
- PPE users must be trained as regards the wearing, proper use and any limitations of PPE.
- Managers and supervisors should also be aware of the reasons for providing PPE, its proper use and, in particular, the level of protection afforded.
- Training, both theoretical and practical, should also cover persons involved in the selection, maintenance, repair and testing of PPE.
- The level of training provided will vary with the level of risk involved and the complexity and performance of the equipment. For instance, the use of respirator equipment will require a comprehensive degree of training with regular refresher courses, whereas the training for using protective gloves for dealing with hazardous substances may require demonstration only. The frequency of the refresher courses required in the case of PPE for high-risk situations will depend on the nature of the equipment, how frequently it is used and the needs of the employees using it.
Do I need training in use of PPE Print
Created by: Michal Wochna
Modified on: Fri, 2 Jun, 2017 at 10:27 AM
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.